The Forager's Harvest DVD Set includes two discs that are indexed for easy navigation to individual plants. The DVDs are a visual companion to Sam's books and cover most of the plants in the books. The DVDs feature Sam Thayer, a charismatic guy, with some interesting mannerisms and wardrobe choices, but who knows how to forage for wild edibles. If you are a forager who prefers watching video to reading, or if you just want to augment the descriptions and explanation offered in The Forager's Harvest, this video is for you. If you want to see what tangled clumps of Hopniss vines and Siberian elms loaded with green seeds look like in real live action, they're here. If you want to see the process of harvesting wild rice from a ripe bed, then parching, dancing, and winnowing it, it's on film here. This footage captures the abundance, surprise, bounty, beauty, blind luck, mosquitoes, wood ticks, and occasional frustrations of wild food gathering in all kinds of settings around the Midwest, from wilderness lakes and hardwood forests to backyards and empty lots.
- DVDs can be viewed in their entirety, or their menus are designed for easy navigation from plant to plant as desired
- DVD cases are Eco-wallets to eliminate plastic in the packaging, and are printed on recycled board with non-toxic vegetable-based inks
- 2 DVD Set
- Plants are primarily from the Midwest and the Northwoods
- Samuel Thayer - is a natty dresser, he first led nature walks at 19 and besides wild food foraging, Sam is an all-around naturalist with particular interest in reptiles, amphibians, bird watching, botany, and mammals. His passion for wild food extends to studying the origin of cultivated plants and the socio-economic history of the human diet. Other favorite activities include running, bicycling, archery, fishing, cliff diving, body surfing, photography, cooking, growing fruit trees, using scythes and other old hand tools, hunting, and anything with the family.
- Runtime 1:31 both discs - over 3 hours of white knuckle, edge of your seat foraging
- The DVDs are for Region 1 (US and Canada only)
- SEE ALSO companion books - 34555 Forager's Harvest & 34556 Nature's Garden
- Videography - Brian Pierce
- Host - Sam Thayer
- Produced by - Forager's Harvest
- Contents: DISC 1 - Basswood, Black Locust, Burdock, Butternut, Cattail, Choke Cherry, Ground Bean, Evening Primrose, High bush Cranberry, Hopniss, Lamb's Quarters, Marsh Marigold, Milkweed, Nanny Berry, Ostrich Fern - DISC 2 - Parsnip, Pin Cherry, Service Berry, Sheep Sorrel, Siberian Elm, Spring Beauty, Stinging Nettle, Sumac, Swamp saxifrage, Thistle, Virginia Waterleaf, Wapato, Wild Grape, Wild Leek, Wild Rice, Wood Nettle.
- Easy to understand
- Highly informative
- Well done