DeLorme inReach 2-Way Satellite Communicator for Apple iOS and Android Video
The Delorme inReach for Smartphones helps fill the gap in places where there is no cell phone coverage. This device can be used alone as a personal locator beacon via a worldwide satellite network (subscription required) and allows you to send up to 3 preloaded messages. When paired with your smartphone you can compose standard text messages up to 160 characters, and receive responses from other cell phones, email address or additional inReach users. Pairing also dramatically improves GPS accuracy without draining the battery of the Android device.
- Connect wirelessly via Bluetooth: Pairs wirelessly to any smartphone
- Compose email or SMS address on the fly, or select from your phone contacts
- Compose and send messages up to 150 character, View incoming messages
- Post to Facebook, Twitter, or your own shared map
- An LED signals the successful delivery of a message
- Locking mechanism prevents accidental SOS triggering and allows single-handed operation
- Describe your situation in detail to improve emergency response
- Stay in touch for mutual status updates on your situation
- Automatic location tracking
- User-selected tracking interval (10 minutes to 4 hours)
- GPS position accuracy to within 5 meters
- View tracking breadcrumbs online
- Navigate with confidence using DeLorme Topo North America maps, DeLorme Digital Atlas of the Earth maps or NOAA Charts
- Unlike streaming maps, your downloaded maps remain available even when outside of cellular coverage
- Free app for smartphone users at iTunes.com or Googleplay.com enables free map downloads
- Dimensions: 3.4" H (4.77" including antenna), 2.85" W, 1.73" D; 8.6 cm H (12.1 cm including antenna), 7.2 cm W, 4.4 cm D
- Weight: 7 oz (198 g) without batteries; 8 oz (227 g) with 2 lithium batteries
- Waterproof and dustproof (IP68) and buoyant (it floats)
- Impact-resistant (Mil STD 810F)
- Operating temperature: -20°C to 70°C (-4°F to 158°F)
- Storage temperature: -45°C to 75°C (-49°F to 167°F)
- Device Compatibility - iPod touch® (3rd and 4th generations), iPhone® 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS , iPad® (3rd generation), iPad 2, iPad, Android phone, Android tablet
- SOS locking mechanism complies with RTCM SC-128 for satellite emergency notification devices (SEND); prevents false alarms and supports one-handed gloved operation
- GPS chipset for remote tracking and embedding location coordinates in all sent messages. Accuracy +/- 5 meters
- GPS fix reports position, speed, course, and elevation with each track or message sent
- Uses two AA lithium batteries (included), Lithium batteries provide the best performance and are strongly recommended. Alkaline and NiMH batteries also supported
- Battery life: 125 hours (lithium) sending one-track point every 10 minutes; results will vary depending on usage conditions
- Included in the box inReach 2-way communicator with GPS , USB to micro-USB cable for firmware updates, 2 AA lithium batteries, Lanyard, Quick Start Guide, Activation and SOS information card, GEOS search and rescue information
- Satellite subscription rates start at $9.95 per month with a one-time $19.95 activation fee
Is this item compatible with the Iphone 5? I did not see it as an option but would like to be sure it will work before buying.
Asked on 4/2/2013 by Narium26 from Miami, FL
Yes, this is compatible with the IPhone 5.
Answered on 4/3/2013 by Betty
is there a fee for operating this equipment?
Asked on 12/10/2012 by Don from Timmins Ontario, Canada
There is a satellite subscription fee through Delorme.
Answered on 12/13/2012 by Steve from Campmor