The classic map and compass navigation guide-revised for the age of GPS devices are great, but they can break, get lost, or easily be hampered by weather conditions, making basic map and compass skills essential for anyone who spends time outdoors. This popular, easy-to-use orienteering handbook has been helping people find their way for more than fifty years. Now updated to include information on GPS as well as current Web sites, references, sources, and photographs, it remains the book of choice for professional outdoorsmen, novice orienteers, and outdoor organizations as well as teachers, scout leaders, recreational hikers, hunters, and others around the world.Coverage includes understanding map symbols; traveling by map alone, by compass alone, or by map and compass together; finding bearings; sketching maps; and traveling in the wilderness.
- Explains basic map and compass skills clearly
- Fully updated edition, including information on GPS
- Includes up-to-date Web site addresses, references, and sources
- Features a fresh, rugged design
- Ideal book for beginners
- If you're looking to feel more comfortable in the wilderness, this updated guide is an indispensable reference.
- About the Author - The late Bjorn Kjellstrom was a Swedish champion in orienteering who loved to share his passion for the outdoors. His writings on the subject have been published in several languages. He helped invent the modern protractor-based compass and cofounded the internationally renowned compass company Silva. He is credited with introducing orienteering to the United States. He was also one of the founders of the Swedish and U.S. Orienteering Federations.Carina Kjellstrom Elgin developed her love of nature and of orienteering by literally following in the footsteps of her father, Björn Kjellström, on daily childhood excursions.
- Author - Bjorn Kjellstrom; Carina Kjellstrom Elgin
- Binding - Paper
- Pages - 220
- Publisher - Wiley Publishingy
- Year - revised 2009 3rd Edition
- ISBN - 9780470407653
- Easy to understand
- Good instruction
- Teaches the basics
- Teach others scouts etc
- Teach yourself
Is this book some type of soft cover suitable for packing? How much does it weigh?
Asked on 11/16/2012 by Bill from Dallas
The book weighs seven ounches. This is not suitable for packing.
Answered on 11/16/2012 by Anonymous