Backpacking The Grand Canyon DVD is a great video and it has won 4 Film Festival awards for excellence. Join Gary and his hiking partners as they begin hiking in the Grand Canyon for the first time. We fumble (and sometimes stumble) down the dusty scenic trails while discovering the magnificent wonders of the canyon. Originally, we had all planned for that first hike to be our only trip to the bottom, but that's not the way things worked out. We are all obsessed with the canyon and have returned again and again. We think you'll feel the same way.
Explore the Bright Angel Trail down to the Colorado River and Phantom Ranch. If you're adventurous, take the steep and dry South Kaibab Trail. For the most awe inspiring views from the main trails, creep along the towering cliffs of the North Kaibab Trail. Learn about permits, techniques and skills that you need to camp in the inner canyon. Find out what to expect when you reach Indian Garden, Bright Angel and Cottonwood campgrounds. Take side trips from the main trails to sites that many people never see. Get a closeup view of the plants and animals that live in the bottom of canyon--some of them unique to the area. Experience the solitude and clear beauty of the North Rim in winter. You may be the only person camping on the North Rim! Most of all, learn how to be safe and enjoy your experience hiking and backpacking in the Grand Canyon. And remember the Phantom Ranch is very popular so plan accordingly.
- Breathtaking scenery plus information and tips about backpacking or day hiking in the Grand Canyon
- Explore the rugged South Kaibab Trail then dine on beef stew at Phantom Ranch
- Tour the Bright Angel Trail all the way from the Colorado River to the South Rim
- Trek down the awe inspiring North Kaibab Trail to Ribbon Falls and the dreaded ";Box"
- Helpful tips on travel, permits, gear, lodging, food, weather and varmits you want to avoid
- Find out what it's like to camp at Bright Angel, Indian Garden and Cottonwood campgrounds
- Random Review - "As avid hikers, my wife and I are always looking for informative sources on new areas we would like to hike. This DVD is by far the best we've seen! It covers EVERYTHING you need to know. Permits, travel, accomodations, gear, safety, trails...all are covered in a very entertaining way. The scenes from the Canyon are magnificent and beautifully photographed, and the narration is casual and witty with plenty of anecdotes and personal views from several others who have also hiked the canyon. Even if you don't plan to hike but just have an interest in the Grand Canyon this is a great video to watch and will give you a much different perspective from the usual travel videos. If you're planning to hike the Canyon for the first time this is one of those "must have" resources. Along with the wealth of knowledge on the DVD, the producer's website has links to just about any Canyon related site you'd need and greatly expands your sources of information. Highly recommended!!
- Produced by Realworld Productions
- 1 disc
- Run time - 92 minutes give or take
- DVD's are not returnable once the package is opened.